Sunday, November 04, 2007

[Math4u] Fwd: Plz Help me - Math Problem 2

The following message was posted to the MathMatters3-4 group, a forum for
teachers who work with third and fourth grade, by mistake. I'm forwarding
it to the Math4U group instead...

--- In MathMatters3-4@yahoogroups.com, Ashok Hari <grpashok@...> wrote:

Dear all,

I am studying at Open University so I don't have a proper teacher who can teach me,
particularly math. Because of that I am studying math by myself. While I go through the
math I find some doubts. Please and kindly give your ideas and notes to clear my doubts.

Problem,
A box contains twice as many red marbles as green marbles. One marble is
drawn at random from the box and is replaced; then a second marble is drawn at random
from the box. If both marbles are green you win Rs:50; if both marbles are red you loose
Rs:10; and if the marbles are of different colours, then you neither loose nor win.
Determine the probability distribution for the amount you win or loose?

Solution:-
Say X denote the amount you win(+) or loose(-); ie.X=+50 or -10
The probability that both marbles are green is 1/9 i.e P[X=+50]=1/9
The probability that both marbles are red is 4/9 i.e. P[X=-10]=4/9
The probability that marbles are of different colours is 4/9 ie. P[X=0]=4/9

Thus, the probability distribution is given by following table.

Amount(in Rs won(+) or lost(-))
Probability
+50
1/9
0
4/9
-10
4/9


My Advance Thanks,
Regards,
H.Ashok.

--- End forwarded message ---



Yahoo! Groups Links

<*> To visit your group on the web, go to:

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Math4u/

<*> Your email settings:
Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to:

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Math4u/join

(Yahoo! ID required)

<*> To change settings via email:
mailto:Math4u-digest@yahoogroups.com
mailto:Math4u-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

<*> To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
Math4u-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com

<*> Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to:

http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

No comments: