Saturday, November 03, 2007

[Math4u] Plz Help me - Math Problem 2

Dear all,
 
  I am studying at Open University so I don't have a proper teacher who can teach me, particularly math. Because of that I am on my own with math. While I go through the math I find some doubts. Please and kindly give your ideas and notes to clear my doubts.
 
Problem,
            A box contains twice as many red marbles as green marbles. One marble is drawn at random from the box and is replaced; then a second marble is drawn at random from the box. If both marbles are green you win Rs:50; if both marbles are red you loose Rs:10; and if the marbles are of different colours, then you neither loose nor win. Determine the probability distribution for the amount you win or loose?
 
Solution:-
            Say X denote the amount you win(+) or loose(-); ie.X=+50 or -10
The probability that both marbles are green is 1/9 i.e P[X=+50]=1/9
The probability that both marbles are red is 4/9 i.e. P[X=-10]=4/9
The probability that marbles are of different colours is 4/9 ie. P[X=0]=4/9
 
Thus, the probability distribution is given by following table.
 
Amount(in Rs won(+) or lost(-))
Probability
+50
1/9
0
4/9
-10
4/9
 
 
My Advance Thanks,
Regards,
H.Ashok.
 


Did you know? You can CHAT without downloading messenger. Click here __._,_.___

Your email settings: Individual Email|Traditional
Change settings via the Web (Yahoo! ID required)
Change settings via email: Switch delivery to Daily Digest | Switch to Fully Featured
Visit Your Group | Yahoo! Groups Terms of Use | Unsubscribe

__,_._,___

No comments: