Saturday, September 29, 2007

Re: [Math4u] Given two 3-d vectors, determine angle

Hi,
Angle between two vectors is defined to be between 0
and 180 only. Angle between 0 an 180 obtained by dot
product is the right answer.
Sanjiva
--- sexyazn5tud <sexyazn5tud@yahoo.com> wrote:

> Hi everyone. I can't seem to figure this out. Can
> someone give me
> some guidance?
>
> Objective: Given two normal vectors, determine the
> angle between them
> from 0 to 360 degrees. The 0 to 360 is IMPORTANT
> because I need to
> know which quadrant it is in.
>
> I have attempted to use the "Dot Product". However,
> this only returns
> a value from 0 to 180. Also, due to the nature of
> cosine, there are
> multiple vectors that can give the same angle. [ie
> (1,0,0) dot
> (1,1,0) and (1,0,0) dot (1,-1,0)]. Both equate to
> 45 degrees.
> However, I can't figure out how to determine if it
> is 45 degrees or 315.
>
> I was thinking I could check to the X & Y values to
> determine their
> sign.
>
> X | Y | QUADRANT
> ----------------
> + | + | I (0 to 90)
> - | + | II (90 to 180)
> - | - | III (180 to 270)
> + | - | IV (270 to 360)
>
> But, what do I do with the Z!?? Since the dot
> product for 3d space is
> x1*x2 + y1*y2 + z1*z2, I cannot ignore the Z values.
> But, I don't
> know how to use it to determine the quadrant/correct
> angle.
>
> Any guidance would be appreciated! Thanks!
>
>


Sanjiva Dayal, B.Tech.(I.I.T. Kanpur)
Address:A-602, Twin Towers, Lakhanpur, Kanpur-208024, INDIA.
Phones:+91-512-2581532,2581426.
Mobile:9415134052
Business email:sanjivadayal@yahoo.com
Personal email:sanjivadayal@hotmail.com



____________________________________________________________________________________
Yahoo! oneSearch: Finally, mobile search
that gives answers, not web links.

http://mobile.yahoo.com/mobileweb/onesearch?refer=1ONXIC



Yahoo! Groups Links

<*> To visit your group on the web, go to:

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Math4u/

<*> Your email settings:
Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to:

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Math4u/join

(Yahoo! ID required)

<*> To change settings via email:
mailto:Math4u-digest@yahoogroups.com
mailto:Math4u-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

<*> To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
Math4u-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com

<*> Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to:

http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

No comments: